Alison Berry Wilkinson
Over the course of her career, Alison has handled a multitude of cutting-edge civil and labor-related court actions. As both plaintiff and defense counsel, Alison has successfully litigated cases in federal and state courts involving claims brought under virtually every statute impacting labor relations for local agency public safety employees, including the Meyers-Milias Brown Act, the Public Safety Officers Procedural Bill of Rights Act, the Fair Labor Standards Act, as well as claims involving due process, civil rights, sexual harassment, wrongful termination and employee privacy. Alison also aggressively defends individual public safety employees in complex disciplinary cases, internal administrative hearings, criminal cases, and related court actions.
Alison enthusiastically shares her knowledge and expertise by teaching at various criminal justice academies, conferences and at POST-approved seminars. Alison regularly teaches on both the Public Safety Officers Procedural Bill of Rights Act and the Firefighters Bill of Rights Act, as well as the Fair Labor Standards Act, Free Speech and Privacy Rights, due process, Handling Critical Incidents, and Collective Bargaining.
Before founding the Berry Wilkinson Law Group, Alison was a founding partner at Rains, Lucia & Wilkinson LLP, as well a partner with the San Francisco firm of Carroll, Burdick & McDonough.
The daughter of an elementary school teacher, Alison was born and raised in Palo Alto, California. When she is not defending and prosecuting the rights of public safety employees throughout the state, Alison resides in San Rafael, California with her husband and two children.
University of California, Hastings College of the Law, J.D. 1988
University of California at Santa Cruz (Merrill College), B.A. 1984
Force Science Institute, 2009
California State Bar, 1988
- Linked In Profile
- Connor v. City and County of San Francisco (February 11, 2014, First Appellate District)
- Johnson v. Bay Area Rapid Transit District, Johannes Mehserle, MarySol Domenici, Anthony Pirone, et al. (July 30, 2013, 9th Circuit)
- San Luis Obispo Police Officers Association v. City of San Luis Obispo (February 28, 2014) PERB Unfair Labor Practice Case No. LA-CE-729-M
- Lopez v. City of Grover Beach (December 21, 2012)
- Berkeley Police Association v. City of Berkeley (2008) 167 Cal. App. 4th 385
- County of Riverside v. Superior Court (Madrigal) (2002) 27 Cal. 4th 793
- People v. Stanistreet (2002) 29 Cal. 4th497
- International Association of Professional & Technical Engineers, Local 21 v. Superior Court (2007) 42 Cal. 4th 319
- Cohen v. City and County of San Francisco (2007, First Appellate District)
- Rodriguez v. City of Santa Clara (2008, Sixth Appellate District)
- Giusto v. City of San Mateo (2006, First Appellate District)
- Brooks v. City of San Mateo (9th Cir. 2000) 229 F.3d 917
- Lemmon v. City of San Leandro (N.D. Cal. 2007) 538 F. Supp. 2d 1200
- People ex rel. Deputy Sheriffs’ Ass’n of Santa Clara County v. County of Santa Clara (1996) 48 Cal. App. 4th 471